What Your Reading?

I'm starting this blog to help keep everyone in the loop on my football training so I hope you guys enjoy. I'll apologize in advance for the possible imperfect punctuation or spelling. As I've come to find, my girlfriend Haley is the first phone call I get for ALL my grammatical errors LOL. But ill do my best to keep them interesting and easy to follow. I will also try to post pictures just to help give a visual to different people, buildings, and events.

* Feel free to leave comments if there is anything you want to hear more about that im not covering.

** IMPORTANT: If this is your first time reading the blog you're going to want to start at the bottom and work your way up to the current.

Friday, February 3, 2012

Getting Caught Up: Days 3-5

Doing my best to stay caught up so I can start updating daily.  Getting to the point where all my days are blending together which is why I don't have a day 2, I can't remember! But here are the last three days...

Day 3 – Wednesday
Wednesdays are boxing days.  It was the first time I have ever done a boxing workout or really got my hands wrapped and put on the gloves but I ended up loving it.  The first time you go through the combos is pretty similar to trying to learn a dance for the first time...it’s a little bit awkward but after awhile you get going and you can put it all together.  It definitely made me appreciate what professional boxers actually do. I started rehab that morning at 9:00am then started boxing at 10am and quit at 11:45am.  Fair to say my shoulders, back, and lats were pretty tight the rest of the day but again, had a blast with it. Later that afternoon I did a pool workout with Tom at Lifetime for about an hour.   

Day 4- Thursday
Started rehab at 9:00am then worked out with the group from 10:30 to about 12:15 doing an upper body workout that I thought would never end!  Don’t get me wrong I loved the workout and being pushed hard but there was literally a point I wanted to fight my trainer lol im serious, the guy was killing me, although I didn’t want to give him the satisfaction of getting the "new guy."  It was defiantly one of the hardest upper body workouts I have ever done in my life. The only thing that kept me performing at a high level was peer pressure and personal pride.  For you to relate just think of a time where you went somewhere for the first time and even though you have done the same things before; you were personally rocked because you had never done the stuff in the same style and rate at which they had. But again, that’s why I came out here.   

Side Note- Lance Briggs came in and worked out in the gym and did the exact same boxing workout I had done the day before which was kinda cool.  For those who don’t know he’s an All-Pro Linebacker for the Chicago Bears. It’s kinda funny but I’m entering a stage in my life where I can’t get excited (or pretend not to) when I see or workout with a pro athlete/ childhood icon. Growing up as a kid it seems like there in another world when you always see them on tv and then all the sudden their right next to you..kinda surreal. *Long story short, I tried to play the cool guy role and never really talked to him and just gave the ole head nod.

After that one of the guys I train with from Arizona State let me follow him to their stadium/facilities where we got in an ice bath.   Before the ice bath we stopped by a building to pick up his bowl game gifts…You want to talk about the difference between DI and DII? You can start with  the size / speed of the athletes and can end with the GIFTS they get for bowl games!  I mean I have always heard about the stuff they get but when you actually  get to see them pick it up. Just to name a few: 32” Samsung Flat screen tv, Bose home surround sound system kit, Sony head phones, ipod speaker dock, ect.... Easy to say I was a little bitter saying we won the National Championship in 2009 and got a back pack, stocking cap, gold watch, and mini helmet. Anyways.....
At 3:30 we met on a local high school field and worked on stance techniques and foot work for agility drills done on pro days in front of scouts that are timed.  Being as I can't do any of that yet I just had to take mental reps.  The hardest part about my situation is being patient.  If I rush my recovery i risk further damage to my ankle but if I don't get ready by the required time (late March early April) then I won't even get a shot so all I can do is pray for patience and do everything that I can to put myself in a position to succeed. Its a long shot I know but I have nothing to lose.
Day 5- Friday
Today was a rehab day. Went in at 9:30am did some ankle exercises, and then road the bike for about 40 minutes.  When I come back and start running routes at full speed again you have to consider that my quad, hip flexor, hamstring, and calf muscles have to also be in shape.  It doesn’t matter if I have a healthy ankle if the rest of the muscles in my leg arn’t up to par and vice versa.  So you can figure every time I’m doing "rehab" it includes my entire left leg.  It gets pretty repetitive and takes a lot of time but its must if I’m going to have a chance at coming healthy. In the afternoon I met Tom at Lifetime for a pool workout where we did an hour of “rehab” on my legs and ankle.

On a side note – I had considered pushing back my arrival date to Feb. 5th which would be this coming Super Bowl Sunday for a variety of reasons but if I had, I would have had to post pone even longer or would have gotten stuck because of the massive snowfall expected in Colorado the next few days.  God was definitely looking out for me there!

No comments:

Post a Comment